Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Goal Achieved.....420!

I have achieved the largest goal that I have ever been given and words can not describe how big this accomplishment is. It has become a running joke with my investment manager, president, and CFO of my company. 420! What is 420? 420 was the NRI I was given to hit in April to achieve the best interest rate for the refi of my 480 unit apartment community I manage. There was an email that circulated that stated, "All eyes will be on Amy!" I remember thinking, "You have got to be kidding me, how am I going to do this!?!?"

NRI stands for Net Rental Income, it basically takes all the charged rents you have in place and then counters in all your automatic losses and that gives you the NRI for a property. In March/April My property sat at roughly $385,000 NRI and I was told you need to get to $420,000. I remember thinking and saying to my staff they are asking us to squeeze a grapefruit out of a whole the size of a blueburry! I had no idea how I was going to gain $5000 in 6 months in NRI much less $25,000! I honestly thought there was no way....what the heck am I going to do??? Talk about stress plus I was getting married at the same time!!! Are you kidding me.....

So when you are given lemons you make lemonade. I had 6 months to prove myself as a young female in a position that had HUGE responsibility! I knew I had a great staff if I could just motivate them and remain positive up beat attitude when really I was going home thinking what the heck!

The end of May my NRI closed out at $413 which was a huge accomplishment but the problem was it was not a true number, not all the May move outs where accounted for due to Memorial Day Weekend. So the 1st week of June we dropped to $395 and I remember being so discouraged! All these people are seeing the $413 number and thinking Amy is doing great and I was the only one that knew it was not a true number. I had to figure out a way to make up that $8000 by the end of June. Talk about team work!!!

I rallied my girls together and WOW!!!! They blew me away! The A-Team was created and they were just as motivated as I was! Not only had I led them to being excited about a work goal they learned knowledge that only managers know! That has been the best part, watching them get just as excited as I am!

So here we are at the end of this 6 month journey that has consumed my life and Guess What...... we did it!!!!! Last week the VP of assets for GE Appliances came out and was so impressed by the growth we have made. He made a joke that I should have been given the goal of $450 because I made $420 look so easy.

Not only did we reach $420....we beat it!!!! We are sitting at a beautiful $425 and still going strong! Words can not express the excitement this goal gives me! I honestly thought there is no way I can do this growing NRI like that in such a short period of time is impossible but what do you know!!!

1 comment: